Sunday, September 21, 2008

Off to Niger in 2 weeks!!!

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog on my upcoming peace corps experience in Niger. To start off, I should tell what the name of my blog means. Fofo means "greetings" in Zarma, one of the local languages. At this point, it is the only word in Zarma that I can remember, but that should change soon. I begin my big adventure on Monday October 6th, when I head to Phili for a brief orientation. Then October 7th we leave for Niger! I will be a "community agroforestry extention volunteer" but who really knows what that means. Basically I will be working on the local level with subsistence farmers helping improve food security and sovereignty. I will be in training for the first two months in the village of Hamdallaye, 35 km from Niamey. I will be learning either Zarma or Hausa, the two local languages, and part way through training I will find out where my permanent placement will be. Communication will be shakey and sparce, but I am already looking forward to all of your letters, emails, care packages, and phone calls!

Contact info:
email: hailey1616@gmail.com
address during training: (you can start sending letters and packages now! It takes a while)
Hailey Wright, PCV
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 10537
Niamey, Niger
** please write "air mail" and "par avion" on all mail**
I'll let you know a phone number as soon as I get a cell phone.
Thanks for all your support in helping get to this point. Wish me luck in Niger!

No comments: